A bolt action with a 20 inch medium sporter barrel (#2.5 or #3 contour). There are handy deer rifles out there like the Rem Model Seven, but their barrels are #1 contours and heat up very quickly when practicing at the range. There are rifles with 20 inch bull barrels, but they are too heavy. A Rem Model Seven (or something similar) with a medium sporter barrel would be just right for hunting deer.
To make the rifle perfect, it should have the following:
1. A free floated barrel
2. A rigid synthetic stock with aluminum bedding
3. A nice two-stage trigger like the new Vanguard S2
4. Chambered in .243Win, 7MM-08, or .308
5. A three position tang safety
6. Stainless steel action and barrel, treated with a matte black or grey anti corrosion coating
7. Detachable magazine
Not that I have been thinking about this much.
Last edited by Joe Chicago; November 2, 2012 at 05:27 PM.