View Single Post
Old November 2, 2012, 02:13 AM   #1
Sarge

The Taurus 24/7 Thread

I’ve never been a big ‘Taurus guy’ for a couple of reasons. The first one is that their QC has been spotty. The second is that they when they introduce a gun that I like, they discontinue it ASAP and replace it with something goofy. For instance they made a 3”, fixed sight .44 Mag DA snub with about a 3” barrel. Most of which went to gun writers who penned articles makng me want one badly. Same goes for the Model 450, 5-shot snub in 45 Long Colt. Damn nifty little gun... scare as hen's teeth now.

Their 24/7 series autos have hung on a little longer. I did a small CCW class last week and one of the guys had a 24/7 ‘Pro’ in .40 caliber. It was a mid-size auto, not much bigger than a Glock 23 but with a full-cap mag. It had real decent Heine ‘Straight 8’ sights. The DA trigger was light, smooth & stopped just short of the firing moment- very predictable & easy to hit with. There was a second-strike capability, if that matters to you. I liked the grip, the angle and the feel of it. These pistols have a 1911-style safety in the location I’m familiar with and I like a safety for IWB carry. So I start hunting a 24/7 Pro with a blackened slide, in 45 Auto.

I wanted to try one of these guns at some distance, to see how the trigger worked for precise shooting. Problem is, the mid-size ‘Pro’ version has been discontinued so test examples are scarce.

My boss has a PT-140, which is slightly bigger than a G-27, so I begged it for a range session. I'm not exactly recoil-shy but you can tell when this one goes off. I figured if I could hit with this little beast, hitting with the larger 45 variant would be a cake walk. 15 & 25 yard results were good and the gun never choked, so I walked to the back of the short range and fired 5 shots with my wrists rested on the top of the car door. I think it shows promise.

OK, I am bitten and I want some 24/7 user reports. I'm not brand loyal to anything so good or bad reports are welcome. I am particularly interested in the Pro Models in 45 ACP (any size) but any series or caliber is welcome.

Thanks in advance for your input.
“Nine-tenths of tactics are certain, and taught in books: but the irrational tenth is like the kingfisher flashing across the pool, and that is the test of generals. It can only be ensured by instinct, sharpened by thought practicing the stroke so often that at the crisis it is as natural as a reflex.” ~ T. E. Lawrence

Page generated in 0.03776 seconds with 7 queries