View Single Post
Old October 28, 2012, 08:16 PM   #16
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Barring your private property... Actually that "right" you mention is protected by the 1st amendment unless it violates a particular odinance such as "noise" for the most part...

Brent
______
There is a time and a place for everything and a hunting camp when people are trying to sleep is not the time to fire up a noisy generator or to turn your fogs loose. It's called common courtesy. I expect that at a public camp ground in a state or national park but the most egregious offenders will find themselves in a conversation with park rangers trying to keep the peace and make everybody happy. In an unregulated space like trail heads a reasonable man will respect others rights to peace and privacy. If he is the only camp at the site than be my guest but don't pee in my drinking water and don't keep me up all night when I intend to get up at 0400 hrs to dress, eat and make my way to my hunting spot.

It's why when I took my family camping in state parks I always requested a wilderness site as far from the main campers as possible. The kids would rather have had hot water, toilets with flush toilets, electricity and arcade games but they gained in woods craft and freedom to run around the woods without me worrying about them.

1970, Sequoia National Forest, I approached the campsite of In a gadda da vida around 0600 hrs with a pair of wire cutters prominently displayed in my hand intending to cut the speaker wires if they didn't turn down their music to less than bleeding ear level. They turned off their stereo when I was about 50' from, them. I got a standing ovation as I walked back to my camp and by 0700 the van full of pseudo hippies had packed up and left. Turns out nobody but them and my young bride enjoyed Iron Butterfly. Even she was kind of upset, seems like she didn't believe anybody should get out of bed before 0800 hrs if they didn't have to be someplace early.

So I am old fashioned, sue me.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--

Last edited by Old Grump; October 28, 2012 at 08:30 PM.

Page generated in 0.04491 seconds with 7 queries