View Single Post
Old October 25, 2012, 07:15 PM   #32
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppie
....Bubba looked at me and he said this was his dog and he was going to take him home. I had my LCP with my Crimson Trace laser in the front pocket of my jeans and my hand was on it. I pointed to his zipper and said " Do you see that red dot by your zipper?" He looked down and while he did so I drew my pistol and aimed right on his family jewels. Then in a calm voice I said "That's were the first bullet is going to go if you don't let go of that dog."...
Dicey situation. You probably got away with that in Texas. In quite a number of other States, you very well might have found yourself answering assault with a deadly weapon, or similar, charges. Folks need to think about alternatives to threatening lethal force to protect property. Carry a cell phone; call the police; take some photos with your cell phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionengnr
Quote:
Where I live you would have been in trouble with the law, for threatening Bubba in that way.
Some of us came to the conclusion that we wanted to live in a Free State, and acted on that wish.
Even 'free States" have standards for the justification of using or threatening lethal force. And even in those State, you can go to jail if you threaten or use lethal force in circumstances in which it's not justified. There are no free-fire zones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeo roy
...I would never pull a gun on another person till I had already made the choice to try to kill them,...
What you may legally do is threaten or use lethal force to stop someone under appropriate circumstances. You may not legally try to kill them, although if you are justified to use lethal force, adequate application of that force might result in the assailant's death.

But there is a clear and legally recognized distinction between an intent to stop and an intent to kill. If you're not clear on this, ask Jerome Ersland.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.04568 seconds with 7 queries