View Single Post
Old October 21, 2012, 11:37 AM   #14
F. Guffey

“Just a cpl thoughts on this...and I too have oft heard of the thickness of military brass...that warning is mentioned in Ken Waters "Pet Loads" books as well as "Hatcher's Notebook", and "Hand loading" the NRA's excellent book on the subject, by William C. Davis...all authoritative tomes”

There are those that talk about it and then there are the others. I claim to have never read "Hatcher's Notebook", to claim to have read his books/arricles would force me to agree or be accused of not being able to comprehend what I read.
Ken Waters and Hatcher at best could only be half right (correct), again, I measured the case head thickness from the head of the case to the bottom of the cup (above the web), all my military case heads measured .200”, I measured the case head thickness of R-P cases, the thickness of the R-P case head from the usual place measured .260”. Rational for being half wrong or half correct, my military cases have thin case heads, I can not apply the ‘military case is thicker’ to my cases, my case heads are thinner.

Flash hole diameter, there is one member on this forum that starts with ‘unfirming the diameter of his flash holes’ rational? For starters, just in case it matters, the other, measure before and again after, if the primer pocket opens up the flash hole can open up, the reloader that has no clue as to the diameter of the flash hole in the big inning is left with determining the effect of pressure from the outside, then there is the problem of measuring case head diameter with bladed micrometers.

A better article was written 20+ years earlier, I was the only one that read the article, a shooter, reloader gun enthuses wrote an article about his experience with case testing. He purchased 500 cases from one lot from one manufacturer. He did not purchase 500 cases from each manufacturer for a comparison, he purchased 500 cases from one manufacturer then made his comparison using one rifle. After firing and measuring, sorting and testing again, he settled on 47 cases +/- very few. Other cases he found he could index the cases in the chamber and get the same accuracy every time, rotating the case changed the point of impact. Then there were cases that had a powder column that was not concentric, case necks that were not concentric. He measured the case head and wall thickness.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.04819 seconds with 7 queries