View Single Post
Old October 21, 2012, 09:41 AM   #19
Webleymkv

Quote:
Yea, honestly you guys are taking the sandpaper thing too seriously. It is my gun and its not a big deal.
You asked for our advice and we've given it. The reason that we're so against the whole sandpaper thing is two-fold. First, you're modifying a part that was never defective to begin with. Sandpaper can remove more material than you might think and if you sand too much off of the slide stop, you'll wind up with a pistol that won't reliably lock the slide open after the last shot. If the gun's slide releases without you touching the slide stop or slide, as it appeared to do in your video, then you're already well on your way there.

Secondly, most manufacturers frown on "kitchen table gunsmithing" and, in some cases, may void warranties over it. Please don't take this the wrong way, but you're attempting gunsmithing work without fully understanding exactly how the parts interact with one another. On the other hand, no one will understand better how your handgun works than the people who made it and since those people offer a lifetime warranty, you've undertaken modifications which may adversely affect the funtion of your gun (albeit in a non-critical way) needlessly.

Quote:
Like I said before, it hasn't hindered it in any way. The issue must be the tension spring on the +1 mag since its longer it will need to be worked out more.
I still don't see how it's an issue to begin with. The magazine spring can only put tension on the slide stop when an empty magazine is inserted into the gun. When you're reloading, the spring will not put tension against the slide stop because the magazine follower will be held too low to make contact with it by the cartridges in the magazine. Likewise, if you want to close the slide on an unloaded pistol, it's simple enough to simply drop the mag, close the slide, and then re-insert the magazine if you wish to do so. Please understand, what many of us have been trying to tell you is that you're worried about fixing something that isn't broken.

Page generated in 0.04967 seconds with 7 queries