Thread: Bad Practice!
View Single Post
Old October 18, 2012, 09:29 PM   #80
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeo roy
....I have sought out the type of training described and it did not work for me. I have developed what I think works for me and practice / train that with the time I have....I do what I think would help me in sd;...
Yes, but how do you know? How have you tested what you do?

As others have pointed out, it's not a matter of there being "one way." The core of today's defensive pistolcraft evolved from the days the Modern Technique was first emerging from the leather-slap matches put on by Jeff Cooper, Ray Chapman, Thell Reed, Michael Harries (of the Harries flashlight technique), Bruce Nelson, and others in the late 1950s in the mountains above San Bernardino, California. However, the major schools, like Gunsite and Thunder Ranch, and major instructors, like Larry Vickers, Tom Given, Massad Ayoob, Louis Awerbuck, Walt Marshall and others add their unique perspectives.

And what we learn today is not the product of one person's ratiocination. The current major teachers learned from those of the past and they learn from each other. What they teach is tested, through their teaching, through competition and through analysis of after action reports of actual defensive gun usage.

When I took my first class at Gunsite, my instructors included someone with 30 years experience in law enforcement, including as an instructor, someone with many years experience in Army Special Forces and as a police SWAT office, someone also with many years experience in law enforcement and Jeff Cooper. And today, the instructors at Gunsite also have many years experience actually having put to use in real life the things they are now teaching.

Quote:
....Other posters took the chance to extoll the virture of the training while suggesting that others have less training, knowledge than they do, so how could any one else know better. Will I for one know myself better and what works for me may not be for you....
The real point is that not all opinions are equal. I'm sorry, but I'm more inclined to pay attention to the opinions of those people, like the qualified instructors I've had, who have the demonstrated knowledge and experience to back up those opinions.

Quote:
...In my case I was trained by some one with not much intrest in helping me learn....
And it's too bad you've had some poor instructors. There are some out there. But that doesn't mean that there aren't some instructors who could teach you things you don't know and teach you things that would improve your performance.

And I've also noticed in my training experience that it's important to come to class with an open mind. Each class I've taken has exposed me to some things new to me. Even when something new contradicted something I'd learned before, or thought I knew, there was benefit in accepting and finding value in the new material.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.04553 seconds with 7 queries