German P226 9mm owner / operator here..
- 100% reliable so far, lubed with TW25B (shooting factory 115 gr, out of MecGar mags)
- like the control layout better than any other semi
- takedown / reassembly is easy and sensible
- I paid $465 for a used gun that was obviously maintained well
- holster wear gives it character
- for my application, there are none, other than the fact that I shoot better groups with a 1911
I realize that the SigSauer P2xx series isn't for everyone - hey, it's a big, old, heavy combat pistol. My vintage has no rail. I'm ok with that, I happen to prefer big old heavy combat pistols such as the 1911 and Beretta in addition to the SigSauer.
FWIW - Amsdorf had a bad experience in reliability with a P226 which may affect his opinion of them. I hope SigArms makes it right so that he and his son can enjoy the pistol.
Ex - Navy, Persian Gulf Veteran. Loved shooting the M14, 1911, M60, M2