Thread: Bad Practice!
View Single Post
Old October 16, 2012, 12:56 PM   #50
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTrain
On the other hand, a lot of so called "common sense" is "nonsense"
Yes, I wrote that. And it is a true statement. I illustrated the truth of that statement by pointing out that the Brady Campaign frequently refers to the "common sense" of their gun control proposals.

zombietactics very nicely expanded on the point when he wrote, in post 48 (emphasis by underlining in the original, emphasis in bold added):
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombietactics
...There is such a thing as "common sense". It's roughly what would be commonly apparent to someone reasonably well-versed in a topic or field of endeavor.

People often leave out the reasonably well-versed part, and substitute a kind of "I am smart/cool/awesome/tough enough to figure it out without actually knowing anything" attitude. This is often little more than a thin veneer of bluster painted over a surface of raw ignorance....
When one is reasonably well versed in something, he has an appropriate and adequate foundation of knowledge or valid data relating to that subjuect. He can then apply a rational process to to that knowledge or data and reach conclusions. The rational process some people will call logic, and others, perhaps, common sense. But whatever it is called, it will produce valid or useful conclusions only if the foundational knowledge or data itself is valid.

But some folks don't bother actually learning anything, or acquiring actual knowledge, or finding and validating data. They seem to believe that they can figure everything out and wind up applying what they call common sense to guesses and untested assumptions. And that produces nonsense.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.04532 seconds with 7 queries