View Single Post
Old October 15, 2012, 08:34 AM   #18
F. Guffey

brokenanew, it is a rut, everyone (reloaders) believes they have two choices, one is to full length size, the other is neck size. It is not fair, from the big inning manufacturers have made available to me 'versatile dies'. My versatile dies are labeled 'full length sizer dies', with my versatile full length sizer dies I size cases for short chambers, I size cases for minimum length/full length sized chambers, I size cases for go-gage length chambers, and I size cases for chambers that are of infinite length or a more practical .002" longer than a field reject length chamber. When measured from the head of the case to its shoulder that is 28 different case lengths from the head of the case to its shoulder.

I do not believe there is a difference between the dies available to me when compared with dies purchases by other reloaders, I do believe it is more about the way I use my dies. My dies have threads, my presses have threads, threads make my dies adjustable, all I have to know is 'how to adjust my dies', to know how to adjust my dies I have to know how to measure the length of the chamber from the bolt face to the shoulder of the chamber, before I go to the range, everyone else 'fire forms' I form first then fire, when ejected my formed cases come out as once fired. Keeping up, I know the length if the chamber 'FIRST! I know how to adjust the die to, below, or above the shell holder, I do not wake up in a new world every morning.

Then there is time as a factor, a new phrase, I am the fan of time as a factor, I like the ideal the case expands to fill the chamber, I like the ideal there is air between the chamber and the case, clean air, I am the fan of the running start, I want my bullet to have the 'jump start', the running start and the jump start are part of 'time as a factor'.

The part I am not a fan of is full length sizing without a clue as to the length of the chamber, and 'bump', bump sounds like an accident, there is nothing I do when a sizing cases that is an accident. If someone researched instruction before the Internet there is a possibility they would find 'bump' had to do with adjusting a die in a press that cammed over, all of my cam over presses bump twice, once on the way up and again on the way down, and that is the part that causes most to lock-up. For a cam over press ram move down it must move up first. If a cam over press is adjusted the additional turn of the die (down) the top of the press raises as in flex/spring out of shape.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.04591 seconds with 7 queries