View Single Post
Old October 14, 2012, 11:39 AM   #15
testuser

I've had my G20 for three years and it has around 1k to 1.5k rounds through it.

The 10mm is pretty much the upper limit of recoil when it comes to defensive pistol use. Other semi-auto cartridges are more powerful, but aren't practical, usually due to excessive recoil, like the .460 Rowland.

What surprises me is the recoil. I've shot the G20 side by side with .40 S&W pistols and depending on the pistol, the .40 S&W will sometimes generate recoil that's equal to or less than a medium powered 10mm, while having inferior ballistics. (I'm not relying on factory data, ballistics were determine using my chronograph.)

The problem is generally weight, your typical .40 S&W can weight just over 21 or 22 ounces while the G20 is just about 28 ounces. Almost all of this extra weight is in the slide, and the heavier slide mass really helps to dampen recoil. At least, that's my theory. If one slide is 20% heavier than another, it has to have some impact on recoil. As a result, your average .40 S&W load is extremely manageable from the G20 using a KKM conversion barrel.

To me, the G20 compares very favorably to my 4 inch K-frame .357 magnums in terms of weight, size and even ballistics. I consider those to be the best balanced carry revolvers out there, so it's no surprised that I gravitate to the G20 in an automatic.

Regarding the polymer frame, though, weight does a better job soaking up recoil than flexing plastic. At one point, I owned a 10mm Witness and it was definitely softer shooting than the G20, but it was sold due to the poor quality of the psitol...namely the safety wouldn't work after being replaced twice and the magazines experienced numerous jams.

Last edited by testuser; October 14, 2012 at 11:45 AM.

Page generated in 0.05531 seconds with 7 queries