View Single Post
Old October 12, 2012, 10:52 AM   #3
SerenityNetworks

I'm a relative noob compared to many here, but I've always believed it works both ways. That is, scopes improve iron sight shooting and vice versa. However, I do believe iron sight shooting contributes more to shooting skill than sights.

A recent experience is with a young boy I'm teaching to shoot. I have two Marlin 795s. One has a scope and one has Tech Sights. He loves to shoot with the scope - "It's cool." But I set him up to shoot with a sling and the iron sights and the groups were significantly better than when he shot off bags with a scope. Of course there are many things that could account for the difference, but...

As a result of that observation I ordered a second set of Tech Sights. They just arrived and the scope is coming off the second Marlin. I'm thinking scopes add another layer of details, beyond fundamentals, that a new shooter need not deal with and that actually detract from their focus on the fundamentals.

Andrew

NRA Life Member
------------------------
"There are some ideas so preposterous that only an intellectual will believe them." - Malcolm Muggeridge

Last edited by SerenityNetworks; October 12, 2012 at 12:15 PM.

Page generated in 0.05233 seconds with 7 queries