View Single Post
Old October 12, 2012, 10:52 AM   #3
I'm a relative noob compared to many here, but I've always believed it works both ways. That is, scopes improve iron sight shooting and vice versa. However, I do believe iron sight shooting contributes more to shooting skill than sights.

A recent experience is with a young boy I'm teaching to shoot. I have two Marlin 795s. One has a scope and one has Tech Sights. He loves to shoot with the scope - "It's cool." But I set him up to shoot with a sling and the iron sights and the groups were significantly better than when he shot off bags with a scope. Of course there are many things that could account for the difference, but...

As a result of that observation I ordered a second set of Tech Sights. They just arrived and the scope is coming off the second Marlin. I'm thinking scopes add another layer of details, beyond fundamentals, that a new shooter need not deal with and that actually detract from their focus on the fundamentals.

NRA Life Member
"There are some ideas so preposterous that only an intellectual will believe them." - Malcolm Muggeridge

Last edited by SerenityNetworks; October 12, 2012 at 12:15 PM.
Page generated in 0.03533 seconds with 7 queries