I suppose it could be done that way, in fact I thought I might try it.
But then I figured that changing the original turret would detract from the value of the machine. I also was not anxious to be drilling and tapping in cast iron.
So I made the spare unit to fit the larger dies.
There is a knucklehead on Evil bay who has the replacement turrets (larger dies) for sale for seventy bucks a pop. At that price he can keep them.
I also made an adaptor to use the Lee shell holders. But I find that the original primer holder is slightly large for the holes in the Lee shell holders. So now I have to go out and buy a second shell holder to fit the adaptor but then drill it out for the Lyman Primer holder.
This sounds like a lot of trouble but it is a labor of love.
And once I am finished I will have a very versatile press.
I just finished stripping the paint off of the cast iron parts. I found some rustoleum which is a good match for the original color. The original paint was "crinkle finish" paint and I will never know why they chose that style finish. It attracted grease and oil beginning sometime around 1975.
I'll post photos when the final coat is dry.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. Thomas Jefferson