View Single Post
Old October 11, 2012, 06:18 AM   #46
Picher

Quote:
Did you really think about that, before you typed it? "Two-piece bolt" and "non-match chamber" are terms that apply to the great majority of the bolt action .22 LR rifles on the market - not just the 77/22.
Two-piece bolts and/or "non-match chambers" are found in most or all models from Marlin, Savage, Winchester, CZ, Remington, and Kimber. (And I'm sure I missed a few manufacturers.)

...Just the same old, unsupported, regurgitated, anti-Ruger internet crap.
I speak from long experience with rimfires and a great many accurizing projects, including several that have been posted on a well-known rimfire board for several years and recording more than 20,000 hits. My accurizing jobs have turned in remarkable accuracy, including my own 10-22 that shot an average of 10 consecutive 5-shot groups at 50 yards that averaged 0.37".

That said, I've also worked at trying to get the 77/22 to shoot "very" well and with factory barrels. It's been quite disappointing. Though made of high-quality materials, the two-piece bolt is not made to precision levels and doesn't fit in the action particularly tightly. I've heard of only one 77/22 that was extensively modified that shot reasonably well in rimfire benchrest competition, but didn't win any matches, as I remember.

Compare that to the Remington 540-series rifles that, modified, were used extensively as Sporter-category rifles that won many matches before advent of the custom rimfire action rifles that typically result in winners, but cost upwards of $3,000, some closer to $10,000.

That said, the 77/22 is a nice rifle. If a person wants a reliable rifle that shoots 1"-1 1/2" groups with non-match ammo at 50 yards...go for it! I just expect more out of my bolt-action rifles, especially those that cost what the Ruger does. I also expect that if I do some basic accurizing work on one, that it should group under 3/4" at 50 yards with non-match ammo, but ammo selected, by trial of various brands/types.
People are like rifles. Some are tried and true, having great eyes, personality, and fun to be with. Others never seem to hit the mark with you. Still others go off half-cocked. Still, it's nice to know most of them.

Page generated in 0.04153 seconds with 7 queries