View Single Post
Old October 10, 2012, 10:15 AM   #16
Picher

In over 50 years of handloading, I've only had one handloaded round FTF in a bolt-action centerfire rifle. It happened last year with some primers bought recently at a gun show. They were either not made right or stored improperly prior to my getting them.

In my rifles, a good rifle round for hunting or defense, will feed from the magazine, enter the chamber easily, fire properly and be accurate to 1 MOA, or better (usually better), then extract easily and eject.

For bolt-action target and plinking, I don't mind if rounds fit a bit tighter and bolts close with a little more force, but not extreme force.

Regarding reloaded ammo reliability, I check rounds after sizing and after loading to assure they will feed properly in my rifles. Primers are checked by feel or sight as I seat them. I do one step at a time on all cases and don't turn a case neck-up until it's filled with powder. When filling with most powders, each charge is measured an weighed. Ball powder loads may be check-weighed after every five or ten, depending whether it's near maximum or not.

After filling all the cases, I inspect them in the block in good light, so I can see that they appear to have the proper amount of powder. That's critical IMHO!
People are like rifles. Some are tried and true, having great eyes, personality, and fun to be with. Others never seem to hit the mark with you. Still others go off half-cocked. Still, it's nice to know most of them.

Page generated in 0.05347 seconds with 7 queries