October 10, 2012, 01:35 AM
Join Date: March 15, 2005
Location: Central Connecticut
That would probably be a Colt Paterson that was made by the Patent Arms Company in Paterson, NJ between 1836 - 1842.
Samuel Colt's first factory, the Patent Arms Company (Plant ruins site at: 40° 55' 01.04" N, 74° 10' 44.48" W) of Paterson, New Jersey manufactured 1,450 revolving rifles and carbines, 462 revolving shotguns and 2,350 revolving pistols between 1836 and 1842 when the business failed...
...In 1839, a hinged loading lever and capping window became standard for new revolvers and was retrofitted to the older designs. So modified, the revolvers could be loaded without disassembly. When the Paterson revolvers with loading levers finally reached Texas in 1842, Texas Ranger Captain John Coffee Hays was very pleased that his ranging companies could now reload from horseback.
Designer Samuel Colt
Samuel Hamilton Walker
Manufacturer Patent Arms Company,
Produced c. 1836-1842
(assembled and sold by John Ellers after failure of Patent Arms company)
Number built c 2,800
Variants different calibers,sizes and configurations
Last edited by arcticap; October 10, 2012 at 01:41 AM.