View Single Post
Old October 9, 2012, 01:42 PM   #23
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
The next decision will be do i shoot it or is it destined to be another of my safe queens?? What would you do?
Shoot it.

It's not really all that rare, and it's unlikely to appreciate greatly (or at all) in value over the next 10-20 years.

Most guns are not all that great as investments. Part of the reason for their poor investment value is that INFLATION tends to grow faster than gun values.

You said you've got the original sales slip -- compare that value to what you paid, and you'll see how much it's appreciated and been damaged by inflation since the early 1980s... To appreciate what happened, though, you need to use an inflation calculator -- like this: http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

In 1997, when the original BDA was discontinued, a nickel model sold for $607 according the Fjestad Blue Book. If the original buyer paid as much as $400-500 in 1982, he'd have to sell it for $950-$1200 to just stay EVEN with inflation (i.e., retain enough of its original value to buy something of comparable quality/value today).

If you got it for $600 or less, the original seller took a big licking, as you can bet the gun dealer got a hefty fraction of the sale price... Be warned: there are exceptions to my warning about gun collecting -- but I'd argue they are truly EXCEPTIONS, as most gun owners aren't savvy enough or lucky enough to be among the "exceptional" gun owners who do well, over time. A few of the savvy/lucky seem to participate on this forum.

If you decided to keep it as a safe queen in hopes of "collector's value" being attached to, collectors want pristine guns -- do NOT shoot it, keep the original box, papers, and even that original sales slip. Protect the box from damage -- pristine boxes make a difference to collectors.

Page generated in 0.04905 seconds with 7 queries