Someone already beat me to it, but it sounds like you're looking for the 10mm Auto. Either the Glock 20 (fullsize) or Glock 29 (compact). It's also availabe for the 1911 and the Witness.
- Better barrier penetration than .45 ACP or .40 S&W.
- More muzzle energy than .45 ACP or .40 S&W.
- Heavier projectile and larger caliber than 9mm or .357 sig.
- Heavier 200 grain loads do better in 10mm than .40 S&W.
- Recoil is stout, but accpetable.
- Reliable platfrom (Glock, 1911).
- Readily available components if you reload. Otherwise, ammo is available online.
- High performance carry and hunting ammunition available.
- Viable performance against humans and animals.
- Can rival or exceed .357 magnum depending on the load and can make use of heavier bullets, which the .357 sig cannot do.
For all intents and purposes, one 10mm handgun could fill the same niches covered by both of your former handguns...the .40 and the .357.
Last edited by testuser; October 9, 2012 at 11:23 AM.