View Single Post
Old October 8, 2012, 01:32 PM   #36
psantos

I have been reading reviews and watching videos and I think I've narrowed down my list to what I'd purchase (not in order of preference):

1. Ruger sp101 4.2" .357 magnum revolver

2. CZ 75B (either 9mm, .40 or 45acp) - Would I be better off getting the sp-01?

3. Entry-level 1911 45acp (maybe Rock Island Armory)?

.357 is obviously great for range and defense and a revolver would be great for me. I'm just not sure if I should get a semi-auto or a revolver.

"I learned .40 is not good for beginners because it's too snappy. I know 9mm is not the best for defense since it goes through walls, and has less stopping power than a .45. I read that .45acp is actually more of a push back than a vertical recoil, and I'm wondering if I could get used to it even though it would be my first pistol.

Ideally, I'd like a home defense gun that is fun at the range.

If I got a semi-auto, would it be better to go with a 9mm or just go ahead and get a .45 and just gradually get used to it?

BTW I don't have tiny hands, but my hands aren't large either. I guess medium.

I appreciate your feedback!!!"

You certainly have some oddball choices, for home defense and fun shooting, I would scratch the Ruger. short barreled .357 magnums are not optimum for self defense and certainly not a gun for newbies to have fun with at the range. Forget about shooting.357 out of a snub at home., the decibel level will deafen you and its not much fun to shoot.

If you like revolvers you would be better served with a 4 inch Smith K-frame better trigger easier to shoot.

As far as the 9mm being more penetrative, its all about bullet design a FMJ .45 acp will penetrate substantially more than a 9mm lightweight hollowpoint.

I would certainly shoot a few weapons before making your choice!!, the 1911 is a fine firearm, but it will take some consistent training to handle the cocked and locked scenario safely.

The CZ is actually a good choice, its heavy accurate fun to shoot, with the right 9mm hollowpoint iits an excellent home defense weapon. Although I personally don't like SA\DA triggers, even with training the transition can cause an accidental discharge in a self defense situation. Also with the CZ you have to manually lower the hammer, maybe a CZ with a decocker if you go that route.

I like DA only for home defense, some of the autos out there have an excellent consistent light DA trigger pull. I like the Smith autos in short DA only, used guns frequently go for under $400.

Best advice shoot a few different models, the question you also have to ask your self do you have time for training and shooting? If not keep it simple, a good DA only auto, or a smith revolver.

Good luck and be safe!

Paul

Page generated in 0.04427 seconds with 7 queries