View Single Post
Old October 6, 2012, 11:45 AM   #15
Marco Califo

Quote:
Actually, when you think about the resources used to melt it down and reform it into something else (maybe just pistol brass once again), it's very wasteful to scrap it rather than just cleaning and reloading it. Some folks think wastefulness is immoral / unethical.

John 6:12 - And when they had eaten their fill, he told his disciples, “Gather up the leftover fragments, that nothing may be lost.”
To each, his own. But, your logic would indicate that it is wasteful to recycle, and I completely disagree. For example, my range collects all spent brass, after shooters pickup their own if they want it, or, pickup someone else's if they do not. Ones that are worthwhile to reload, get picked at again by the range guys (belted magnums, 10mm, etc.). Then the range may select some and have some popular cartridges reloaded for sale at the range (223, 45 ACP, etc.). What is left is sold to a scrap buyer. These are the dirty, stepped on, 9mm and 380, and excess 223). Yes, these may end up being melted down and made into new brass or door knobs. Even so, that will use less energy than to make new brass from copper and other metals.

It is kind of like kids parent's telling them to eat their broccoli because kids in [ethiopia, botswana, niger, congo, bangladesh, etc.] are starving. Send the broccoli to THEM!

If I dont reload 380, I am not touching them. Is it immoral? If a bear farts in a forest, and no one is there to smell it, does it stink?
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn"

Last edited by Marco Califo; October 8, 2012 at 10:11 PM.

Page generated in 0.04663 seconds with 7 queries