View Single Post
Old October 2, 2012, 12:37 PM   #9
Any suggestions as to the max distance I should consider with the 308? I know ultimately it is my ability to compensate, but at what distance should I thrust its effectiveness?
Where are you going to hunt elk? I live and hunt elk in Colorado, due to the terrain, it is very rare that I get an opportunity to shoot an elk farther than 100-150 yards away (I have 3 cows and 2 bulls under my belt), elk do not have a curious bone in their bodies.

but to answer your question; take a 168 grain bullet at 2600 fps muzzle velocity, if it were me, I would sight in for a 300 yard zero, this would put the bullet trajectory at:

100 yards +5.4"
200 yards +6.3"
300 yards 0.0
400 yards -14.7"
500 yards -39.5"

An average elk measures about 24" from the bottom of the brisket to the top of the back, this would give you a good scope picture with minimal holdover/under all the way out to 400 yards. All is needed is a decent range estimation and shoot accordingly. As always shot placement is important with any caliber, particularly at longer ranges.

I sight all of my big game hunting rifles in similar to this, (based on ballistics and optical sights)
NRA Lifetime Member Since 1999

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Last edited by iraiam; October 2, 2012 at 01:19 PM.
Page generated in 0.03435 seconds with 7 queries