View Single Post
Old October 2, 2012, 03:54 AM   #3
I've never liked a hammock. I tend to like to switch sides in my sleep and... oops! *Thud*

That said, at least you're taking a tarp with you and 50' of paracord to make an impromptu tent between trees. (Don't forget the diameter of the tree counts.) A few plastic tent stakes too. This way, if it rains or you injure yourself, you can set up a shelter.

Sleeping on the ground... I've become enamored with the self-inflating pads. Lots better than plain foam or a folded up blanket I might need. Roll 'em up and stuff 'em under the backpack's top straps to carry (like a mini-bedroll).

Other stuff...
In an old M-16 pouch, I've stuffed survival gear. Signal mirror, chapstick, fire starters (dryer lint, shredded paper), flint, matches, mini-compass, a folding knife, 3 signal flares & launcher, a pouch of magnesium powder and LED flashlight. Medicines include 6 aspirin, 2 tylenol, 1 Immodium AD dose, disinfectant, 4 Pepto Bismol tablets, 4 No-Doze and a roll of lifesavers. Always on my belt, always with me, like a canteen and knife.

If you take a light nylon jacket (lined/unlined) you can roll it up for a pillow. Do remember to pack along a hat/ballcap and gloves for warmth at night. And always pack spare cushy socks in a ziplock bag to keep 'em dry.

Be sure to leave info about your route and plans with someone who can notify authorities if you're overdue.
BillCA in CA (Unfortunately)
Page generated in 0.03320 seconds with 7 queries