View Single Post
Old September 29, 2012, 11:27 PM   #7
Gargamel6

Thanks for the responses. I guess I should have presumed there would be no "magic bullet." A lot to digest. Causing a bit of "analysis paralysis." Might be a good thing so I dont break anything, or myself! I think my next course of action is to get a real reloading book and read, read, read (before I reload anymore bullets).

Thanks for the link to service rifle reloading. All I can say is at least my AR isn't an M-14. From the read it appears they are more finicky..and more prone to slamfires. That scares me! What a surprise that would be! The AR still seems a little more daunting than doing .308 bolt action loads. I'm not in too much of a hurry to get going on that. I need to invest in some gear, and get up to snuff before I commit. Is there any manual that is better than another when it comes to reloading AR rounds? I will be using commercial brass at this point. I don't have the capability to work with the crimped primers yet, and I don't see it as being the first in line of equipment to acquire. It's just an extra step...and requires a brass expense, when I can shoot my own, or once fired commercial brass without the added expense. I will probably end up there at some point if I really get into it.

As far as affordability is concerned...yeah, I know. Initially that was the intent, but I see that I will probably shoot more. If I'm lucky it'll balance out, I guess! If that's the case I still have won! Maybe I should have cited "forgiving" as a criteria for the powder. Being new that would certainly be a concern for safety reasons. It would also be good in that small anomalies might not affect accuracy as much. Still have to read up a lot more on the subject! I am going to research 748 now...and will continue to consider varget. I haven't looked at 748 yet, but like that it is ball powder. Seems like it would be easier to meter. I heard that varget is good, and versatile. I like that. Also think I read it is a little tougher to meter because of being longer extruded powder. That tends to make me shy away a little. Seems like it wouldn't be as easily repeatable given my current gear. I can't say I'm going to be reloading 100's of rounds at a time, but who knows. Shooting an AR might force my hand ! If I do run into that situation, I don't want to "weigh and flick" (I think that was the terminology) every powder drop.

gonna get in there and do some more research....

Thanks for all the posts!

Page generated in 0.05116 seconds with 7 queries