View Single Post
Old September 29, 2012, 10:38 AM   #5
Doc Hoy
Thanks you two.

I am given to understand that the .775 case length is the .38 S&W.

And maybe that is a better way FOR ME to understand the differences.

I am going under this assumption:

Three case lengths:

.775 inches - .38 (I am given to understand that this is referred to as .38 S&W)

1.290 - .357 when referring to a smokeless round

1.155 - .38 special, also referred to as Long Colt

When I say, "when loaded with black powder" I mean, in the present day, loaded for CAS (even though I don't shoot CAS) and not what the cartridge was originally designed for. The question might be better posed; "What to CAS shooters call their rounds? If you have a revolver that is .38/.357, and you are loading black powder rounds, do you call it a .38 round, a .357 round, a .38 Special round, and if so, what is the difference?

Here is why I ask:

If I move into the .38/.357 caliber, I would probably stay away from .775 cases because of the limitation on the powder. I load only black powder, never smokeless.

So this means I can choose between (IIUC) two different case lengths. 1.155 and 1.290. In this case, the difference is minor and so I would likely go with the larger of the two sizes for flexability. It is important because if I am working with two different case lengths which are really only different by about an eighth of an inch, I have to reset my dies. So I wuld likely stick with one and only one case size.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. Thomas Jefferson
Page generated in 0.05430 seconds with 7 queries