View Single Post
Old September 26, 2012, 11:37 PM   #34
XtremeRevolution

Eppie: I've done some research on Taurus and would not want to purchase one at this time. If I go with that design, it will most likely be a Beretta. dyl makes a good point in that it would be wise to pick a gun that has a strong presence in the US and parts can easily be found for. The Taurus 92 doesn't have any parts that interchange with the Beretta 92 from what I've read.

dyl: Thanks for bringing up the discussion on replacement parts. I would imagine that they would need to get replaced at one point after a decently long service life.

A flashlight is definitely on my list of add-ons for the accessory rail.

marine6680: For some reason, I just can't wrap my head around a polymer frame. I read something like this, and it really makes me think:

Quote:
I read in either Guns And Ammo or Guns And Weapons For Law Enforcement, that Springfield Armory was awarded a contract to build 50,000 top slides for the 1911 .45 to fit the USMC surplus of recievers. Some of these 1911s have been in service since WW2. Slap a new slide and barrel on them, and they are ready to serve another 60 years. This is a fact, the 1911 built to mil spec will shoot out dozens of barrels before it needs replacing. It is difficult to discuss if a polimer frame would be able to sustain such use/abuse over so many years as that they have only been around for 15 years or so. Glock to the best of my knowlege is the first.

So why so many polymers out there, and why so popular???

Marketing and Money. A polymer frame can be manufactured for less than half the price of a full steel gun.
Maybe they're not that bad, I don't think I'll be able to deal with it unfortunately. I may yet change my mind when I get to see them in person, but there's just something more beautiful to me about a full metal handgun.

Last edited by XtremeRevolution; September 26, 2012 at 11:58 PM.

Page generated in 0.04204 seconds with 7 queries