View Single Post
Old September 25, 2012, 11:18 PM   #42
youngunz4life

I'll take this a little further too....

Quote:
Funny thing about events "not happening here." For many people in many communities all over the US, it never happens there. This doesn't make the mindset correct, but only notes that the mindset is fully supported with long term support for many people in many communities/locations.

It is a funny thing that we are vigilant because we know it can and does happen, even if it hasn't happened to us...and we have the stats to back up our assertions. At the same time, the naysayers have have the stats to back up their assertions as well. Even if it does happen in their community, it still may be wholly unlikely to happen to them...statistically speaking.

On the down side, those living in remote areas where "it will never happen" may feel confident that it won't and it certainly may not, but if it does, help isn't likely to just be minutes away (which is already too long), but 10s of minutes away.
I'm not big on stats(I waste money on a lottery ticket here and there...go figure), but if you want to talk stats: many many times(and it has been documented and studied multiple multiple times), a rapist, burglar, car trespassing thief, or whatever the case will find the window that is open with only a screen, the unlocked door. He might have been at your neighbor's house but that area was secure or had lights. the stats say you are more vulnerable. An entire family(mother, father...both young w/multiple young children) was killed in richmond virginia this millenium on new years day while getting ready for an afternoon party, get together. the absolute only reason why they were chosen was the bad guys saw the front door open as they drove by. one child was actually dropped off while the bad guys were there and the mom answered the door and let her in(she apparently only thought she was being robbed...the family was burned to death while bound).

pretty much ramblin...bottom line there is no such thing as "it doesn't happen here"

Page generated in 0.04338 seconds with 7 queries