Here's what I recommend, based on what you stated:
1. Get certified in first aid, CPR and AED (Automated External Defibrillator). Contact local Red Cross, Heart Ass'n., or Fire Dept. for training. Old certification or having been trained in the military doesn't cut it. You've got to get and stay current.
2. Get your CHL, CCW, whatever they call it in your area.
3. Take a defensive pistol course, 1-3 days. Rifle too.
4. Contact local sheriff/police and ask if there is anything you can do to help.
5. Give blood.
7. Pay taxes.
8. Serve on a jury if called.
9. Serve in the armed forces if qualified and eligible.
If you want to shoot...shoot...don't talk! Tuco
USAF Munitions 1969-1992