View Single Post
Old September 16, 2012, 12:27 PM   #45
Doug S

To GAZ in NZ,

I think the answer to your questions is best chalked up to a cultural thing.

Here in the U.S. most of us were brought up thinking that self sufficiency and the ability to protect your own, were not only important, but a God given right and obligation. We are taught not to rely on government or police forces for our protection. In other places (say NZ) around the world people are enculturated to think differently. The fact is, human nature, is human nature regardless of whether you are in the U.S. or New Zealand, and the truth is, people like me question how someone could ever be more content living in a culture that is solely dependent on government and police forces to keep them alive...and have accepted a way of life that has taken away not only their right to self-preservation, but has also indoctrinated them into thinking and believing that helplessness is the proper state of man. Likewise, I would never want to reside in a place like that. Just as you indicated above, your comments were not intended as an insult. You were just asking a question, and providing you opinion on the subject. I'm simply doing the same here, no offense intended of course.

I should add...if there is a violence problem in the U.S. is not because of guns. It more likely is the result of a government making poor economic decisions, and the people most impacted by these decisions being oblivious to the root cause.

That said, I do not believe that the population of the U.S. is anymore inclined toward criminal behavior that anywhere else in the world.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle

Last edited by Doug S; September 16, 2012 at 12:34 PM.

Page generated in 0.04222 seconds with 7 queries