View Single Post
Old September 11, 2012, 08:14 PM   #66
Bob Wright

Back in 1957 I was at Camp Roberts, California, and three of us in my outfit went into Paso Robles and bought handguns, I bought a Ruger Blackhawk .357 Magnum, another friend bought a Ruger Single Six, while the other bought a Llama .38 Super. For some reason, the owner of the Llama asked me to break in his pistol, using .38 ACP.

The first shot I fired in the Llama resulted in a blown case head, leaving the rest of the case in the chamber. The slide tried to chamber another round and jammed the remainder of that case tight in the chamber. It remained stuck until we started to leave the area, when it just dropped freely into my hand.

I've had separated cases since, but had five more chambers to load.

Also, at Camp Roberts, I witnessed a shooter fire a squib load in a Smith & Wesson M1917 revolver. He didn't notice and fired succeeding shots, the second and third bullets lodging behind the first. On the fourth shot, the barrel split. I didn't know what had happened at first, only that the first shot didn't sound right. Didn't know, at the time, to see that he was failing to kick up dust down range. But I was a lot younger in 1957 and not so experienced.

Bob Wright

Last edited by Bob Wright; September 11, 2012 at 08:20 PM.

Page generated in 0.04278 seconds with 7 queries