Thread: When to carry?
View Single Post
Old September 11, 2012, 11:09 AM   #57
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmith85
I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying. I didn't say people with minimal training shoot people. What I'm saying is the ease to get a concealed carry permit is the reason there are so many restrictions on the carry permits.
Maybe I just don't get it, either, but I don't think that the underlined part holds water. I haven't done any extensive research on the legal history of various "sensitive places" statutes regulating carry, but my gut says that those statutes predate the (fairly recent) rise in CC statutes. IOW, the restrictions cannot have been put there "because of" the ease of getting a permit. Do you have any information to the contrary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmith85
If the background check was much more extensive and the training program was much more difficult there wouldn't be a need to restrict guns in places like schools and government owned property.
First: With respect to most CCL holders, there's not any current need to restrict their places of carry. Beefing up the background check and training won't change that.

Second, do you have any information that supports the claim that if "the background check was much more extensive and the training program was much more difficult there wouldn't be a need to restrict guns in" the sensitive places you mentioned?

Third, even if you do, I do not believe that any of the above warrants a more extensive background check system. Such a system is simply further infringing on the 2A right.

If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument. -- Art Eatman

Page generated in 0.04859 seconds with 7 queries