View Single Post
Old September 10, 2012, 04:17 PM   #23
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN01 View Post
I support making possession of firearms by violent felons(the prohibition on ALL felons is too broad) illegal.

It's easy to say "If they are still dangerous, keep them locked up". The concept, in theory, sounds great. In reality, that isn't going to happen.

First off, you would have to institute a life sentence with the possibility of parole for all violent crimes. Not likely to withstand court challenges of being "cruel and unusual".

If the laws were allowed to stand, then you would have to have a parole board with the ability to determine when they are no longer a threat to society. Seeing how currently, violent thugs are locked up and paroled over and over again, parole boards crystal ball abilities seem to be pretty dismal.

People should not lose a civil right for no reason, but a violent felon has received due process and lost it due to his own actions. He has proven his own unworthiness.

Would such laws prevent violent felons from obtaining firearms? Of course not, but if they are caught in possession of one, then they can perhaps be returned to prison where they belong, hopefully before they commit another crime with it.
Thank you for providing the counterpoint I couldn't quite articulate. You can't give a lifetime prison sentence to every guy that goes after someone with a 2x4 or commits 2nd or 3rd degree sexual assault or any number of dozens of more minor than murder violent felonies. Jails are jammed as it is. Nor should the law facilitate and ease the purchase of firearms for those folks even if they can obtain weapons on the black market. Pedophiles can get child [edited to avoid angering the word filter] illegally too. So should we stop banning it? Of course not. There's a principle at work there.

I'm at a loss for any argument other than what seems to me to be plain common sense. A convicted violent felon should not be able to own a gun. I bet if you submitted that to national polls 98-99% of folks would agree with that statement.

Page generated in 0.04463 seconds with 7 queries