View Single Post
Old September 8, 2012, 06:16 AM   #11
F. Guffey

“The only thing is that when swapping Mauser sleeves and safeties, make sure the replacement fits properly, cams the cocking piece back properly, and that there is sear reset. (To check the latter, make sure the gun is not loaded. Then cock the gun, put the safety on, pull the trigger, then release the safety. If the firing pin falls, the sear is not resetting and you need to replace parts until it does.)”

No load, new word: In the normal configuration when the safety is on the trigger does not have a load on it, the firing pin is supported by the safety, pulling the trigger is effortless, but if the firing pin assemble is supported by the trigger sear the safety is in a no load condition. If when the safety is raised the cam can not move the firing pin assembly back the safety will not engage.

When the safety is installed the safety must be engaged in the 12 O’clock position, again after the bolt is rotated into the closed position the trigger does not have a load on it, again, the safety is supporting the firing pin assemble. “If the firing pin falls, the sear is not resetting and you need to replace parts until it does” Again, under those circumstances the safety can not be raised.

I suggested someone should determine how the safety is retained, I said the 98 left hand safety is installed into the bolt sleeve first, I said the right hand safety can be installed into the 98 bolt sleeve last, meaning the right hand safety when installed into a 98 left hand bolt sleeve the right hand can be installed last, meaning there is nothing retaining the right hand safety, again, the safety falls out when the muzzle is raised.

When I returned the book to my friend he ask “what’s the answer?” I said “It is in the book”. He was told the information was in the book, he could not find anything on the right hand safety in the books he was selling. Then he ask “What did it say”, I responded with “The right hand safety was not rare” I had to agree, I have seen a right hand safety for a Mauser, I have three of them, I have never seen whale poo poo, that makes whale poo poo more rare than left hand safeties. The owner of the gun shop had 600 left hand safeties, he did not have a right hand safety.

I did not say I fixed anything, before the rifle was completed a Buehler safety was installed, as to the three right hand safeties, the cams are progressive, one of the three will fit.

Who was the instructor? You are not going to believe this, I was told he did not drink beer very often, but, when he did he drank 2XX .

http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles/Bolt%...0Info/peru.htm

I checked some sites on native Americans and find that some South American Indians had rather prominent proboscis. It is sheer speculation, but I wonder if those rifles were not intended for issue to folks of that ancestry.

“It is sheer speculation”?

http://www.fn-browning.com/fn.htm

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.04570 seconds with 7 queries