View Single Post
Old September 7, 2012, 08:37 AM   #39
F. Guffey

I agree with William T. Watts:

nothing like waking up in a new world every morning.

The only way to bulge a case at or below the shoulder is with a seating die, the die must be adjusted to crimp and or not to crimp, crimping is just a touch of the die at the mouth of the case, when crimping, cases must be trimmed to one length, if in the discipline of reloading trimming is something a reloader just “HATES TO DO” avoid crimping.

When I reach for a die the Lee die is the last die for consideration, I have Lee dies, I do not use them.

Practice, practice, practice, If I want a 308 W/7.62 NATO to fit a chamber I form it from a 30/06 case, if I want a set of head space gages? for a 308W/7.62 NATO chamber I make them in length from .012” shorter than a minimum length case that is the same length as a full length sized case on the short side to infinity on the long side, or a more practice .014” longer than a minimum length size case from the head of the case to the shoulder of the case.

When I adjust my seating die I place the case into the shell holder, raise the ram then adjust the crimping portion of the die down to the case mouth “THEN!!!’ back the die out to prevent crimping of the case mouth to the bullet. Long before the INTERNET Lyman discouraged crimping of bottle neck cases, point? Discipline. A reloader is wasting their time crimping if they are not going to adjust the seating die to crimp, the reloader is wasting their time if they are not going to trim the cases to the same length. Before the INTERNET Lyman knew seating with a crimp reduced bullet hold if not done correctly. Even then reloaders practiced and practiced and then practiced some more, nothing has changed, it is not practice that makes perfect, it is possible to practice and never get ‘it’ correct or perfect, The only way to get ‘it’ perfect is to practice it correctly.

Correct practice makes perfect.

As to ‘what to do’? The case is bulges, the case has been squatted, the neck has expanded below the crimp/mouth of the case, again, the seating die does not have case support. Seating a bullet is but a breath of effort on the handle. There is something to Dillon’s philosophy of seating should be done with a separation operation, they gave me an exemption, I was not going to start over with Dillon dies and adap ‘TER’ kits. Back to the bit inning, I use a powder lock out die and or a powder die.

There is no shortage of cases around here, 308 Winchester cases can not cost me more than .08 cents each, rather than talk about reloading, I purchased case forming dies, my favorite case forming/trim die is the 308 W. If I had one forming die it would be the 308 Winchester forming/trim die, it is my favorite forming die because it is short, means nothing to anyone else but when the reloader/wildcatter/case formers masters the gap between the top of the shell holder and bottom of the die doors open, others? Seems the concept just locks them up or forces them to the curb.

Back to practice, I would pull the bullets , dump the powder then remove the primer punch from the expander plug/primer punch assemble then size the cases. I would suggest measuring the length of the case before and again after, the case when sized will get longer. I would then measure and then dump the powder into the case, adjust the seating die off the case to prevent crimping, I would then seat a bullet. The shoulder bulge when sized is supported in the chamber when fired, case separation is caused by bad habits, of my bad habits, sizing a case incorrectly is not one of them, nor is creating conditions when sizing a case that allows case travel.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; September 7, 2012 at 08:45 AM.

Page generated in 0.08031 seconds with 7 queries