View Single Post
Old September 4, 2012, 01:40 PM   #39
wayneinFL

Quote:
2. In competition, you are in complete control. You know in advance what you're going to do, when you're going to do it, and where and what the targets are. Then - when you're ready - you commence firing. A SD situation is the total opposite. You can not pick and choose the time and place where it will happen, or what condition you will be in, or what the lighting or weather or background will be, what clothing you'll be wearing, whether you'll have your wife under your arm, etc.

Quote:
3. Most obviously, it doesn't reproduce the paralyzing stress of a sudden, unexpected, split-second, life and death SD firearm situation, when you stop breathing, your mind shuts down, your vision narrows, your hearing become garbled, your body stiffens. This is why you hear stories of 3 or 4 police officers emptying their guns at a BG and missing.
I haven't ever had to shoot back, but I think most of the time if you're attacked, you probably have some time to prepare. A couple of weeks ago, I saw someone robbed with a knife. I had just jogged past a guy who was sitting behind the corner of a building. I watched him until I was about 40 feet past him. I turned my head and continued. He attempted to rob the two guys who were walking behind me. The robber chased them out into the middle of the street with a knife until they got my attention and I came back and ran him off.

I never felt nervous or paralyzed or stop breathing. I didn't really feel anything except maybe a little anger until it was over. I never felt the situation get out of control. I would have been emotional if I had to shoot him, but that would have been after everything was over.

I don't think competition is an end-all-be-all solution for training. You need training for skill, mindset, and tactics. IDPA and IPSC help build skill and prepare you for some level of stress. There was a study a while back surveying people's greatest fears- fear of public speaking outranked fear of death by a large margin. The fear of a couple of dozen people watching you fumble a stage isn't the same, but it can induce enough stress to cause you to default to your training.

Page generated in 0.04259 seconds with 7 queries