View Single Post
Old August 30, 2012, 02:34 PM   #29
Clark

It sounds like I need more handgun testing.
I have found that rifles are noisy if the bullet does not seal with the lands. I can allow no gas to leak around the bullet during jump.
That is why I have the two presses on the same home made die with a ram between them, to swage the bullet into a sized and shape that seals the powder behind the bullet when jammed into the lands.

I clean the inside of the case and the outside of the filler [Steel or Aluminium ] with alcohol. Then put Loctite 601 on them. I press them together in a vise with a small socket wrench as a spacer.
None have come loose with 601, one came loose with just a press fit.

To cut the taper of the insert to be a press fit:
I measure the case wall thickness in .1" increments from the web.
I make a formula for slope and offset outside diameter for the case.
I put those in a spread sheet, print it out, and use the the DRO on the lathe and the chart to make my hands a crude CNC machine.

I like to drill the flash hole big enough for Red Dot flakes to fall down it.

I made a test fixture to measure sound.
Most people would be better off with a commercial sound pressure level detector and modify it for faster attack time to measure the sound of a gun shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Peak sound detector pic b 8-11-2012.jpg (80.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Sound peak detector drawing 8-11-2012.jpg (86.7 KB, 5 views)
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?

Page generated in 0.04740 seconds with 8 queries