View Single Post
Old August 26, 2012, 10:11 PM   #15
Whoa! I just noticed that I replied having not seen some of the prior posts. (Browser refresh issues.) And I typed the meat of what I have below before I noticed. Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore anyone. Hopefully my reply won't seem too disjointed.

No, can't shame me into a better scope (for this rifle). Maybe someday, but first I'm saving my money for a Remington Model 700 Sendero and an appropriately expensive optic for it. The Marlin is my trigger time practice tool until I can get the Sendero. The strategy: get a used Sendero (for the stock and action) and then get a custom barrel. The current plan is for either a really nice Leupold or Night Force with a Horus reticle. But that's going to be awhile, so meanwhile I'm going to be cheap on other stuff.

FiveInADime, wow! I love that stock. Where did you find aftermarkets like that!

But back to the measurement, I was thinking it through this way:
  • Working upwards we have 0.150 (barrel to dovetail) + 0.774 (dovetail to ring) + 0.500 (ring to center-line) = 1.424" (barrel to center-line)
  • Working downwards we have center-line to base of objective is 1.860 / 2 = 0.930
  • That leaves 1.424 - 0.930 = 0.494 between the base of the objective and the top of the barrel (using the BKL as an example).
  • In short, I have just short of 1/2 to spare. (And the lower turret block is 0.100, so I'm okay there too.)
Does this make seem correct? My head hurts too.

Of course, all that said, I can't justify $60 bucks to mount a $50/$100 scope unless it makes a critical difference in shot consistency. If FiveInADime has consistent performance with a $15 set then that's the way I'm going.

Still, thank you everyone for the lesson. (And let me know if I'm still bumfuddled with my calculation.)

Thanks again,
NRA Life Member
There are some ideas so preposterous that only an intellectual will believe them. - Malcolm Muggeridge
Page generated in 0.08008 seconds with 7 queries