View Single Post
Old August 23, 2012, 05:02 PM   #19
FrankenMauser

I prefer Midstates cast bullets, if I'm buying commercial cast lead. They're more consistent than anything else I've found. They use a high-temp lube that doesn't melt out of the lube grooves like certain other manufacturer's lubes. And, I've only come across one bullet that could be argued to be "bad" in more than 6,000 that I've handled (and it only had a small wrinkle in the nose). But, the orders have always shipped with about 1% extra. So, I had 39 more good bullets in place of the one "bad" bullet from that order (4,000).

But, just like every other major bullet casting company, they use the "hard cast" band-aid for everything.
95% of handgun handloads don't need the ridiculously hard "hard cast" bullets (BHN 18-22) that are so common today. And, even many rifle loads don't need bullets that hard.

Classic wheel weight alloy (BHN 12) is plenty hard, even for some hot magnum loads. My standard handgun alloy is BHN 10.5. It's good for .32 S&W through .44 Mag (light to moderate loads), including .380 and 9mm; and can even be used in light rifle loads.

You're much better off shooting a properly sized bullet, than just throwing a harder alloy at the situation in hopes that it will make all the potential problems go away.

Obviously, if you don't cast your own, you get what's available and don't have much choice in the matter. Pretty much every commercial caster has jumped on the "hard cast" bandwagon, because that's what everyone has been (falsely) lead to believe they need today. (Pun intended. )
I'm not even aware of a commercial caster that offers proper handgun alloys, any more.

Page generated in 0.04211 seconds with 7 queries