View Single Post
Old August 22, 2012, 12:10 PM   #20
dgludwig

Quote:
One of the early experts, sorry I could not find the quote and I think it was Jack Connor, stated that the Remington 722 was the best commercial bolt action rifle ever built. The quote came from a Gun digest Annual around 1973.
Not to quibble, but Jack O'Connor was no fan of the Remington Models 721 and 722 rifles. He was a big proponent of the Mauser-style extractor (as evidenced on the pre-64 Winchester Model 70 but lacking on the Remington rifles); his favorite factory bolt-action rifle being, in fact, the pre-64 Winchester Model 70. Regarding the Model 70, in his book The Complete Book of Rifles and Shotguns, said Winchester was described as being, "...the world's handsomest factory-made bolt-action sporter..." Though he praised the Remington Models 721, 722, 725 and 700 for having "very strong actions"; in the aforementioned book, Mr. O'Connor described the Model 722 rifle as being "...a real Plain Jane (and having) about as much sex appeal as Tug Boat Annie..."

Though I'm sure some scribe may have described the Remington Model 722 as being "the best bolt action rifle ever built", it assuredly wasn't Jack O'Connor. Finally, I perused the 1973 Gun Digest (your caveat "around" duly noted) but found no mention of the Remington Models 721 and/or 722 rifles.

For the record, I've lusted for a Remington Model 725 for a long time. Hard to find rifle and pricey when you do.

Page generated in 0.04407 seconds with 7 queries