Thread: WHY HUNT ??
View Single Post
Old August 21, 2012, 11:08 AM   #2
I've hunted and taken 1 bear and 1 elk. I ate both animals I took. The bear was about 10 miles from the nearest road but only about 1 mile from my friend's cabin. We used 4-wheelers to get the carcass out of the woods after we field dressed it, skinned and quartered it. The elk... I admit was a high fence canned hunt. I won the hunt in a raffle that I'd actually entered for the guns they were raffling off but got the hunt instead. That was in a 500+ acre fenced in area that they released one female elk into. I found the animal at the far southern corner of the compound after tracking it for half the day (the danged things don't walk in a straight line and I'm not that good of a tracker!) I shot her dead where she stood and placed a radio call to the people who owned the place. I hiked out while they came and got her with 4-wheelers and I took her home in the back of my truck afterwards - in pieces.

I'd like to hunt elk in the wild but at this point its outside of my budget and frankly not a necessity so I won't be hunting wild elk any time soon. I have no desire to pay into and wait on the lottery here for bear tags so I won't be hunting bear anymore either unless they eliminate the lottery but that won't happen any time soon. If I get the chance to hunt large game I'll take it but I will also NOT just hunt for a trophy. I'll eat the wild game I take too.

Oh and I never came close to seeing a 500lb bear when I bear hunted. The largest I saw topped 300 maybe... and the one I shot was closer to 200. I got about 100lbs of meat off it after it was gutted, skinned and boned. I bet in order to get 500lbs of meat off a bear that thing'd have to weigh more like 650 - 700lbs - that's HUGE for black bear around here. Personally while I'll eat bear I'm not so much a fan of that as I am of elk meat. Having eaten it I can say I like it more than deer and definitely more than bear.

I've heard of other hunters taking the trophy but giving the meat to local charities so it doesn't get wasted.
This is who we are, what we do.
Page generated in 0.07102 seconds with 7 queries