Originally Posted by wpsdlrg
The Yugoslavs used the predecessor to the 24/47 (the 24/47 didn't exist yet).....the M1924..... to fight the Germans after they invaded in 1941. The 24/47 was an "updated" M1924. The exact configuration of the 24/47 was adopted in 1947 - but the rifles were NOT converted in 1947. The actual reworking of the rifles occurred from 1948 to roughly 1957. By 1957, the Yugoslavs had adopted the SKS as their standard battle rifle, so most of the 24/47's were stored as war reserve weapons. Some were still used though, to equip non front-line troops....and right up into the early 1960's, as training rifles.
From Bogdanovic's book "Serbian & Yugoslav Mauser Rifles"
Red Flag Enterprise factory began the M24/47 rework in the second half of 1947. On January 13, 1948 they had completed 10,935 new M24/47's. For 1948 there is not a exact number but it's thought to be around 53.000 M24/47's completed, along with about 54,000 M98/48's (German K98's).
1949 saw about 50,000 M24/47 rifles completed, this was the end of the M24/47 rework and the factory started producing the M48 and variations.
M48's & 52C