View Single Post
Old August 2, 2012, 04:59 PM   #40
tws92E05

I have worn my vest on duty for about 4 or 5 years of my 21 year career. Here in Texas it is hot and humid and I just have never liked wearing the thing.

I believe in being prepared by being armed and having my head in the game. I always have my head up and looking around at my surroundings and being mentally prepared to take action if that is what is needed.

I have never even considered wearing my vest off duty.

It almost seems that you are allowing the criminal element out there to dictate to you how you will live your life rather than you doing it.

If you go along those lines what about driving? There are drunks out there and we can never predict when or where we will be involved in an accident where we could be injured or killed so should I stop driving. I have electricity in my home which sometimes causes fires but I am not going to cut the electricity off from my house to prevent that. I don’t even want to think about getting struck by lightning during a storm. The list could go on forever.

I look at things this way, we are all going to die sometime there is no way around it. I chose to enjoy my life and live it to the fullest, like everyday will be my last and absolutely no one in the criminal world is going to intimidate me into changing. Do I have fears? Absolutely, I fear for my wife and kids every time they leave the house but I do my best to teach and prepare them for what they should do in a bad situation.

Some people are always going to be more prepared than others and Single Six you might be the one that is more prepared than I and absolutely you are the smarter one for wearing your vest on duty. Like you I have been in this career a long time and probably like you I have been on scenes where I have had friends killed in the line of duty. Two were shot in the head, vest didn’t do a darn thing for them.

Just my 2 cents Single Six, absolutely no disrespect intended in it.

Page generated in 0.04556 seconds with 7 queries