View Single Post
Old August 2, 2012, 02:08 PM   #34
ClydeFrog

Good witness, local LE, long range shooting with handguns....

Many of the forum members praise the gun owner for his extended range shot & I, too give him credit for his efforts but I also say that this use of force event should be viewed with caution for other CC license holders/private citizens too.

As an armed citizen, you & your actions will reviewed in detail by law enforcement and/or local prosecutors. Shooting at a violent criminal(s) at long ranges may be a issue to some criminal investigators/District Attys.
I can tell you both as a armed professional & a concealed carry license holder, there are many sworn LE officers would rather have private citizens be; "a good witness" then engage violent subjects.
After the big "Treyvon Martin/George Zimmerman" incident, my local PD(a agency with approx 800 sworn officers) posted a website notice about how citizens should: "not provoke & not pursue" violent criminals.
The concept of shooting at or using lethal force at extended distances will be critized. Even if a sworn LE officer was involved.
Now, I'm not saying you shouldn't assist LE or use lethal force in a critical incident, just use good judgement & common sense.
If you fire a long range shot & it misses or worse, hits a bystander; you'll be in a serious jam. Sworn LE officers have lawyers, insurance polices, union-trade groups and/or public safety officials to support them. An armed citizen may not.

ClydeFrog
ps; for those forum members who say LE officers have a harder time or are under more constraints than armed citizens, I disagree. A local police sniper on a SWAT call-out shot & killed a unarmed female hostage by mistake. The large PD cleared the SWAT officer of all criminal charges, allowed him to stay on the job and stationed him at the airport.

Page generated in 0.05062 seconds with 7 queries