View Single Post
Old July 30, 2012, 12:32 PM   #18
thallub

Scalding and scraping a wild hog is not difficult. My hunting buds and i sometimes scrape hogs for pig in the ground cookouts, proms, etc. We scrape a few hogs every winter for a couple who cure the meat in a walk in cooler.

Its best to scald a hog in cold weather. Its also best done with a hog having long hair: The long hair can be pulled out after scalding, saving scraping time. Do not gut the hog prior to scalding.

You will need:
3 or 4 bodies, firewood, an open and clean 55 gallon drum, feedsacks, scraping knives, a gambrel, a small chain or rope, a tractor with end loader or other machine for dunking the hog, and a platform for scraping the hog.

1. Bring a 55 gallon drum of water to a boil and keep it boiling.
2. Dunk the hog in the water for about 90 seconds.
3. Remove the hog from the water and scrape while one person pulls off as much hair as possible. When the hair no longer scrapes easily repeat step 2 or put feedsacks wet with boiling water on the hide to be scraped. Leave the sacks in place for a couple minutes and resume scraping
4. Hardest part to scrape clean is the head.
5. After the hair is scraped off the skin underneath will be dirty; clean it up.
6. Gut the hog.

Total elapsed time from first dunking for an experienced crew is about 45 minutes. i always have a nice wild hog or two in a pen for special events.

Page generated in 0.04190 seconds with 7 queries