View Single Post
Old July 29, 2012, 01:45 PM   #1
dahermit

Wild hog field dressing/skinning?

Here in lower Michigan, there are increasing reports of Ferrel/wild hogs that have escaped game farms and established breeding colonies. Although I have given up hunting (but not given up shooting), I will make an exception for any hog that I happen to see. Given that, I would like to know what the process is for removing the hair. I know that in the case of a domestic hog, they are scalded and bell scrapers are used to remove the hair from the hide before they are gutted. I do not think that a wild hog is dipped into boiling water to be scolded with the cavity open to the hot water...leaving only skinning as a option; which has to be a chore and does not leave a protective shield for processing hams or bacon in a smoke house.
So hog hunters, what is the process for wild hogs? Are they really skinned and does skinning effect the quality of the meat?

If the Bible is the literal, infallible, unerring word of God...where are all those witches I am supposed to kill?

Page generated in 0.05485 seconds with 7 queries