View Single Post
Old July 27, 2012, 09:12 AM   #69
Aguila Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Straight from my instructor's manual as taught by the Alaska DPS Academy where 80% of police officers statewide and all the Troopers are trained:

Quote:
"Fail-To-Stop Drill- (Plan B) After hitting the assailant with a pair to the upper chest, minimum standard response to lethal threat(italics mine) you should quickly evaluate whether the shots were effective. If they were not effective, you should change plans and determine if a head shot is available. If the head is still there and you have a high probability of hitting it, you should deliver one shot to the head. Remember, the head is a difficult target to hit due to its small size and ability to turn rapidly."
So.........Two shots, assess......one to the head if the action hasn't stopped. I think in reality everyone will repeat as necessary.

It goes on to say in the next paragragh it should stop the fight if accurate, but a miss is a danger to bystanders (duh) and should not be attempted beyond 5 yards unless you are confident of making a hit.

However, in my experience due to the nature of qualifications being timed they deliver all three shots as fast as they can. The qual doesn't have an assess feature built into it. In training though I do teach 2 shots, assess, head
I encounter faux Mozambiques in competition, too, and obviously when less time is the name of the game there is no "assess" feature built into it.

This statement from your instructor's manual struck me as humorous, although I know it wasn't meant that way:

Quote:
"Fail-To-Stop Drill- (Plan B) After hitting the assailant with a pair to the upper chest, minimum standard response to lethal threat(italics mine) you should quickly evaluate whether the shots were effective. If they were not effective, you should change plans and determine if a head shot is available. If the head is still there and you have a high probability of hitting it, you should deliver one shot to the head. Remember, the head is a difficult target to hit due to its small size and ability to turn rapidly."
"If the head is still there"? Where would it have gone?

Page generated in 0.04519 seconds with 7 queries