View Single Post
Old July 26, 2012, 11:20 AM   #44
BigMikey76

Quote:
The fact that he left out the use of firearms as a means of self defense is a pretty big deal. It's actually my biggest hang-up with his statement.
I can see taking what he SAID out of context and fearing that there is a gun control agenda on the horizon (though I don't agree that his statement implied that), but making assumptions based on what he DID NOT SAY is simply putting words in his mouth. The fact that he didn't mention self defense can just as easily mean that he is not concerned with legal possession of firearms, and he therefore did not feel it necessary to mention it.

I can't say with any certainty that I know what he meant or whether he has any hidden agenda. I can say that the things he ACTUALLY SAID were all centerred around two concepts:

1) We need to make it more difficult for criminals to get their hands on guns

2) We need to address the social aspect of the issue by supporting programs that decrease the chances of young people getting to the point that they feel violence is the answer to their problems.

I can't say that either of those points is disagreeable to me.

A gun should be a tool in the hands of a deadly weapon, not a deadly weapon in the hands of a tool.

Page generated in 0.05461 seconds with 7 queries