View Single Post
Old July 19, 2012, 06:18 PM   #2
Clark

I handload for more than the 40 sw semi auto.
I also handload for 25acp, 32acp, 7.62x25mm, 30 Mauser, 380, 9x19, 9x23, 357Sig,10mm, and 45acp.
I have some universal rules I work with.
I try to load with Power Pistol as a first choice, as it tends to give the most velocity for how much peak pressure it makes.
I am bounded in my choice of powder charges.
Too little and the bullet will get stuck in the barrel or the pistol will stove pipe jam.
Too much powder and the chamber can split, the primer pocket can get loose, the case head can blow off, the guppy belly on the case formed over the feed ramp can burst, the primer can pierce, or the slide in recoil reaction can slam into the frame like a hammer.
The ideal load [to balance powder charge and recoil springs] is when the cases land 5 feet from the shooter. This load is balanced between too little powder and too much powder. Cases eject further by putting in wimpier recoil spring or putting in more powder. Conversely, cases land closer with less powder or more recoil spring force.
In working up a load with different powder charges, I wrap the pistol and my hand in a towel so I can capture the ejected case and examine it for case bulge or primer pierce before I fire the next round. I like to work up in 0.1 gr increments if I have the time. If I see anything wrong, I stop the work up and consider that the threshold of trouble, go home, and load more ammo with a percentage reduction in powder charge from that threshold.
In particular for 40 sw, there are some old Glock chambers that have deep feed ramp intrusion AND oversized chambers. If the rear of the chamber is more than .4314" or if the feed ramp intrudes more than .235", then some special precautions should be taken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAAMI 40sw.jpg (88.0 KB, 32 views)
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?

Last edited by Clark; July 19, 2012 at 06:27 PM.

Page generated in 0.05693 seconds with 8 queries