View Single Post
Old July 13, 2012, 05:28 PM   #2
For a .308 in a hunter rifle... it ain't so much the brand of dies as the precision in which they are used.

One way to go is, a combination of neck size or neck size/shoulder bump die from Redding or Forster that uses interchangeable neck sizing bushings (and no sizing button)... and the occasional and mild use of a inexpensive Redding body die, used every 4-6 loadings... when cases start to feel a little snug.

The ideas here are to:
1. Have total user control over the amount of neck tension on the bullet... for repeatable, +/- .0001" consistency.
2. Control case (radial) fit in the chamber, concentricity... and eliminate the extremes in expansion and excessive resizing.
2.a.. Use the absolute minimum amount of case manipulation necessary to produce a loaded round.

I have no dog in this hunt as far as dies go... I don't care what you use. However, I was a competitive benchrest shooter for over 15 years... so I know a few things about accuracy and consistency.
I can explain all this in a excruciatingly long and detailed, benchrest quality process... but no point in going to extremes if you're not interested in going there too.

Shoulder Drive Nicholson Club
Page generated in 0.03123 seconds with 7 queries