Tumbler and, if you're really lazy, a separator:
- Takes longer sometimes, see item #3.
- Less messy.
- Cleaner brass... dependent on how long you run it and what chemicals, if any, you use... "just clean" to a high polish.
- More $ for tumbler and separator.
- The only way to go if you want really clean cases.
Hot soap and water:
- Not as clean or shiny... usually just good enough.
- Perhaps better with straight wall cases than bottleneck cases.
- Some folks use a separator (salad shooter ) to remove most of the water... really.
Like PawPaw's story... When I first got into reloading in the late 60s, no one had a tumbler. Now, considering how inexpensive they are, most any serious re-loader has one as a standard piece of equipment.