Thread: New Miha mold
View Single Post
Old July 12, 2012, 01:36 PM   #18
snuffy

Salty, no it doesn't wick or spread all over. When I say "film", I mean you can hardly see that you're putting any on the sprue plate or top of the mold. I use a Q tip that I scrape the excess off on the top of the bottle. Then I lube the sprue pivot point and the guide pins, doing the underside of the sprue plate next, then the top of the mold last.

It does not burn off, I may do another coating each time I use the mold, never during use.

Lee suggests you use their 50/50 alox/beeswax lube to lubricate the guide pins. It migrates into the cavities causing wrinkles and poor fill-out. Then it oxidizes into a black-baked on crud that's nigh on impossible to get off.

Quote:
Now I understand that they need lube to 'run'?
Any mold needs lubrication. The sprue plate hinge/pivot point being the the most important. Guide pins on some molds can wear quickly if not kept lubed.

As for that ruined H&G, try submerging it in boiling water with lots of dawn or joy in it. Boil it for ½ hour, then let it flash dry after rinsing in very hot tap water. If it's grease in the pores, that should remove it.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?

Page generated in 0.04582 seconds with 7 queries